Sunday, December 6, 2009

Never Rely On One Method

“A major mismatch between instructor style and learners' styles can lead to trouble. For example, suppose that learners prefer independent work and reading, but the instructor prefers group projects. Never rely totally on any one method, but try to vary them. If a student does not seem to be learning, consider whether his/her learning style might be at odds with your teaching style. Remain flexible and be able to change planned learning activities if students are having trouble in a given area.”

I really liked this quote because I have met various learners of all ages who believe they are dumb, lethargic, or unwise because they cannot comprehend certain information the way the others do. When these learners can complement the way they approach information with the means of how they learn, they see growth in knowledge and awareness, building, character, and for students, grades. Learning style assessments offer one a chance to discover how they are apt to react under various situations and how to move toward information in a fashion that best tackles your own specific needs.

This quote goes back to an ordinary setback student’s face is not being capable of connecting course material to the real world. Students sense that if the information they learn in school is ineffective and that it is a waste of time, they believe the information won't profit them later on in life. When students are skilled enough to put their knowledge to use in real life situations, they are able to live their education, while acquiring the utensils to resolve their troubles, and grow independently with every aspect of their life.

I believe students need to be challenged, connected, and excited/willing to learn and grow. Yet, educators need to comprehend that each student learns differently. Therefore different methods/approaches should be utilized. Certain students learn material faster and easier more so than others because of the way their brains work. If simply one kind of teaching approach is used, not every student's learning needs will be met. Several teaching methods need to be shared so that students have the chance to learn in several ways. The more prospects presented for a student to gain knowledge, the more helpful instruction happens to be. Hence, the most profitable teaching method is one that engages several techniques with the intention of accepting every student's distinctive learning style.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you commented how people "believe they are dumb, lethargic, or unwise because they cannot comprehend certain information the way the others do." For far too long we have asked "how intelligent are you?" As it is quantifiable in some instructors mind. Shouldn't we ask "how are you intelligent?" Everyone has something they can contribute! I didn't get this idea on my own but first read it in the book "The Element" by Dr. Ken Robinson. But it did resonate with me and will be something I take with me in all my interactions with students. There is something every student can contribute! Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to apply what you learn to real life can be difficult for anyone. A person can learn and learn and learn but if they are unable to apply what they learn to how they live their life or do their job, the learning is useless. Is that education then a waste of time, effort, and money?

    In addition to teaching a topic, I believe educators should also work towards helping their students apply the knowledge as well. Our efforts as educators are wasted, in addition to the student's efforts, if what we are teaching is not being used. It defeats the entire purpose of learning.

    Bryan D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pose an interesting idea in our efforts as educators being wasted if not applied. While I agree with your intention, I also think about when my wife and I are shopping at the hardware store. I equate your post about learning in a similar light. I may go into the store with a specific question I need answered. How can I get that silly sink unplugged. The salesperson will probably give me a lesson on hair and gunk and different ways to fix the problem with chemicals or a snake or whatever it might be. That is putting learning into practice. But, as my wife and I are walking out of the store, I ALWAYS seem to find something (tools or materials) to throw in the shopping cart. I may not need it now or have any application for it. But, I MIGHT need it in the future! When I least expect it, I'll have the right tool for the job. I think this is part of the educational process also. Not everything we learn is going to be applicable right now or even in the near future but if we have it set aside, we can always refer to it later when we do need it!

    In short, I believe all learning opportunities are good. But the attitude and eagerness of the recipient also matters. Do they want to put that in their toolbox or are they just going to let it go in one ear and out the other. Can we stop that? To some degree, yes, I think we can get them more interested in a topic if we are passionate and use our knowledge and skills effectively but it is ultimately up to the leaner!

    Good food for thought here. I appreciate your post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete